There's nothing quite like a breath of fresh air, yet people spray "fresh air" scent around their homes instead of simply opening a window. Rather than put artificial air fresheners to work in your home, choose natural or organic elements to keep your home smelling sweet and clean.
Here are a few ideas:
* Out with the bad. In with the good. Remove items like old food and smelly socks as quickly as possible, so they don't have time to stink up the place. Then, bring in the good air. It may seem obvious, but opening the windows allows fresh air flow through your home.
* Flower power. Fresh flowers add color, beauty and sweet smells to the home. Whether cut or potted, blossoms and roses create pleasant fragrances.
* Baking soda. Store an open box in your refrigerator. Tuck a small bowl of baking soda in bathrooms, closets or storage rooms. Sprinkle it on carpets, wait ten minutes, and then vacuum odors away.
* Manage pet odors. Keep your home clean and your pets healthy by using all-natural products. Cat litters, such as World's Best Cat Litter (www.worldsbestcatlitter.com), use all-natural ingredients like whole-kernel corn to control odors and provide easy clean-up.
* Stove top fragrance. Forget potpourri. Simmer lemons, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves on the stove to create a warm fragrance that's particularly appealing in winter months.
* Lovely lemons. Toss lemons into your garbage disposal to remove unfriendly fragrances from your kitchen.
* House plants help. Potted houseplants like ferns, spider plants and lady palms remove volatile organic compounds, which are found in paint and plastics, and carbon dioxide from the air. Plants also release moisture and oxygen. And of course, they add a rich green backdrop for your other possessions.
* Essential oils. Tuck lavender-soaked cotton balls into your drawers. Spritz a mix of water and lemon oil throughout your home. Just a few drops of these sweet-smelling oils can be added to organic potpourri or a hot bath to soothe the senses.
* Baker's delight. Who doesn't love the sweet smell of cookies baking in the kitchen? As an added bonus, the whole family can enjoy the warm treats when they emerge from the oven.